NID Campus : Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Bengaluru, Vijaywada
Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) – @ Ahmedabad
Graduate Diploma Program in Designing (GDPD) – @Vijawada (Independent Autonomous Institute)
Bachelor of Design (B.Des.)
The four (4) years Bachelor of Design programme at NID’s Ahmedabad campus is offered in the following areas of specialization :
Faculty of Industrial Design:
- Product Design (15 seats)
- Furniture Design (10 seats)
- Ceramic & Glass Design (10 seats)
Faculty of Communication Design
- Graphic Design (15 seats)
- Animation Film Design (15 seats)
- Film & Video Communication (10 seats)
- Exhibition Design (10 seats)
Faculty of Textile, Apparel & Lifestyle Accessory Design:
- a. Textile Design (15 seats)
Students of B.Des. programme will have to undergo a mandatory foundation programme of one (1) year duration. Allotment of a discipline of choice at the end of the foundation programme is based solely on the student’s performance and on the number of seats available in the desired discipline.
Number of seats in Bachelor of Design (including reserved categories) is 100. Prescribed percentage of seats are reserved for candidates belonging to various reserved categories as per the norms of the Government of India.
12th Pass or equivalent with less than 20yrs of age
All candidates applying for B.Des., GDPD and M.Des. programmes need to appear for Design Aptitude Test.
Graduate Diploma Program in Design: (GDPD) offered by NID, Vijaywada
Textile and Apparel Design
Total 60 seats
Master of Design (M.Des):
The two and a half years (2.5 years), Master of Design programme at NID is offered at its campuses in Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, and Gandhinagar: Aspiring candidates can apply to a maximum of only two disciplines for the Master of Design program. Applications are received to a specific discipline only and are not transferable at any stage of the admissions process, of during the course of study at NID.
The medium of instruction at NID is English.
Discipline of Specialization at Ahmedabad Campus & No. of seats:
- Animation Film Design -15
- Ceramic & Glass Design -10
- Film & Video Communication -15
- Furniture Design -15
- Graphic Design -15
- Product Design -15
- Textile Design -15
Discipline of Specialization at Bengaluru Campus
- Design for Retail Experience -15
- Digital Game Design -15
- Information Design -15
- Interaction Design -15
- Universal Design -15
Discipline of Specialization at Gandhinagar Campus
- Apparel Design -15
- Lifestyle Accessory Design -15
- New Media Design -15
- Photography Design -15
- Strategic Design Management -15
- Toy & Game Design -10
- Transportation & Automobile Design -15
Eligibility Criteria for Master of Design :
All candidates applying for Master of Design programmes must fulfill the following criteria:
Upper age limit for candidates is 30 years of age on or before July 1, 2016.
- Applications for Academic Year 2016-17 is open to applicants who have successfully passed any one of the following qualifying exams in 2015:
- Bachelors degree in any discipline under the 10+2+4 (or more) system, from any university or institute recognized (by law) in India.
- Bachelors degree in any discipline under the 10+2+3 system, from any university or institute recognized (by law) in India, with a one year experience or further academic qualifications.
- Diploma in Design under the 10+2+4 system, from any university or institute recognized (by law) in India
Test Centres for Design Aptitude Test:
Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhuvaneshwar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Dehradun, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, New Delhi, Ranchi, Thiruvananthapuram, and Vijayawada.
About Design Aptitude Test (DAT):
Design Aptitude Test (DAT) seeks evidence of Knowledge, Comprehension, Analysis, Reasoning, Problem Solving and Creativity in the applicant.
- There will be ONE question paper of 3 hours duration.
- The question paper will be in English.
- The question paper will carry a total of 100 marks, out of which Section A carrying 70 marks will be of multiple choice objective type questions Section B carrying 30 marks will be of subjective type questions.
- All questions are compulsory.
- There will be no negative marking.
- Stage 1: DAT
- Stage 2: Studio Tests
- Stage 3: Interviews
The studio test may consist of different sections in different formats such as hands on practical assignments, etc. The Studio Tests will carry a total of 100 marks. The Test will be conducted in English
Selection Schedule (tentative) :
- Reg. ends in November
- DAT exam is conducted in January
- Declaration of results for DAT: February
- Studio Test and Personal Interview: May
- Declaration of Result : May end & June
- College Starts : July
Based on the scores obtained in DAT, shortlisted candidates for GDPD (NID Vijayawada) may have to appear for a second round of exams as announced separately by NID Vijayawada.